Criteria for Birthday Offering grants
In order for projects to be funded:
- Have a clearly defined purpose that meets basic human needs. The purpose must be in accordance with mission goals and policies of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
- Provide a form of aid that relates directly to the people being served.
- Be a creative project less than three years old or an existing project moving in a new direction
- Notify Kathy Reeves if other funding for the project is received. Notification must be received before August 1.
- Tell how your project will improve the lives of people to be served — now and in the future.
- Indicate how your project will work with women, children, youth, young adults, racial-ethnic people and/or persons with disabilities to enhance their quality of life.
- List all other sources of money being requested and/or already awarded for this project.
- Tell how the program will continue after the grant (if received) is spent.
- Explain the process to be used to report progress and to measure success.
- Provide a written endorsement from a Presbyterian Women's group of a local church, PW in the Presbytery Coordinating Team OR PW in the Synod Coordinating Team. A letter from the presbytery or synod is desirable, but not necessary. If grant applicant is outside of the United States, a written endorsement from an indigenous church that is in relationship with the PC(USA) must be provided. Please allow at least six weeks to obtain an endorsement.
- Be signed by the proposal writer and a board chair or other responsible person.
Grants awarded must:
- Be a one-time grant, although the project may not be complete in a single year. The project must be in progress within three (3) years of receiving funds.
- Not be used for payment of current debts, for creating or maintaining revolving loan funds or to fund a permanent endowment. Funds requested cannot be used as part of a general operating budget.
- Return an Interim Report and all supporting documentation before the second payment will be made. The first payment will be made in October of the following year of the award, and will be based on the amount of funds available by October 15 of that year. Second payment will be made by May 1 if the interim report is received by February 1. The second payment will be forfeited if the interim report is not received. Return one, two and five year follow-up reports once received, to the PW office.
- Priority will be given to applicants who have not been funded previously by the Creative Ministries Offering Committee.
- Notify the PW office of any change of leadership or address. Email Kathy Reeves or fax to (502) 569-8026.