The Global Marketplace
Your Presbyterian source for Fair Trade products
Looking for a gift? Planning a Fair Trade holiday bazaar? PC(USA) lifts up the following organizations as excellent sources of responsibly made products. Global Marketplace purchases benefit not only the people who use and enjoy the items, but the people around the world who make them—and who often rely on the support of our purchases to live their lives in dignity rather than poverty. Learn More about Fair Trade.
Your mission committee, women's group or outreach committee may want to host a “mini” Global Marketplace. Likely settings are in your congregation, at a presbytery meeting, synod training event or other gathering.
A few things to consider:
- Decide to host a mini Global Marketplace by setting dates, forming a planning committee, recruiting volunteers and promoting the sale.
- Order products from Global Marketplace vendors by shopping here. Feature several vendors based on the products, missions and sources you think will appeal to your clientele. Check out SERRV’s Consignment Sale Planner as you plan your sale; this guide is geared to placing an order with SERRV, but the How To’s are helpful for anyone, regardless of whether you buy from SERRV or other Fair Trade groups, or a combination of the two.
- Educate about Fair Trade in conjunction with the sale, through Sunday School classes, workshops, newsletter articles, minutes for mission and more.
- After the sale, report back to the congregation about how the sale went and plans for future sales. Continue to educate and talk up Fair Trade for year-round purchasing.
Upcoming events featuring the Global Marketplace:
- 2016: Portland, June 18-25
The Global Marketplace first appeared at the 2002 General Assembly in Columbus Ohio. Since that time the Global Marketplace has become a tradition at large churchwide gatherings. Fair Trade has grown, too; when the church first started promoting Fair Trade, it took a lot of education. Since that time Fair Trade has become more of a household word. The education that needs to happen today is what really is Fair Trade, as some companies talk about Fair Trade but their commitment leaves much to be desired.
Groups seeking to join the Global Marketplace apply by completing the Global Marketplace Vendor Profile Form. The application can be obtained by emailing us. Organizations are screened according to World Fair Trade Organization criteria and will be notified of their application’s status within two weeks of its receipt.