Skip to main content

“Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” — Luke 23:42

Independent Abuse Review Panel
Subscribe by RSS

For more information

Sexual Misconduct Ombudsperson
800-728-7228 x5207
International: 502-569-5207 

Or write to:
100 Witherspoon Street
Room 5631A
Louisville, KY 40202

Counseling Support and the Presbyterian Church

The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)’s General Assembly Mission Council Executive Committee makes counseling support available for individuals whose abuse falls within the Scope of the IARP’s Charter. Eligible individuals are:

Those who experienced physical or sexual abuse
The immediate family member of someone who experienced physical or sexual abuse.

AND, where either

The offender was Presbyterian, formerly on the mission field by Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), or predecessor denomination appointment and not currently under such appointment.
The victim was Presbyterian, formerly on the mission field because of a Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) or predecessor denomination appointment.

Applicants do not need to have participated in a Panel inquiry to be eligible for counseling support. There is a limit of $15,000 per family. Reimbursement can be applied to previous out-of-pocket counseling expenses or for new counseling services. If you prefer to keep your name confidential in your interactions with the Church, after your application, you can request to be assigned a code.

Here are the steps to follow:

1.  Request a form entitled, “Request for Psychotherapy” from:

Sexual Misconduct Ombudsperson
Room 5631A
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
100 Witherspoon St.
Louisville, KY 40202
Toll free number: (800) 728-7228, x5207

2.  You will be sent you the following information:

  • Choosing a Psychotherapist.
  • Request for Psychotherapy Resources Guide. Here is where you can indicate who you are and what kind of service you seek.
  • Return the Request for Psychotherapy form to the address above to start the process.
  • A form to be filled out by the therapist you choose to work with - Psychotherapist’s Experience Questionnaire

If you have any questions or concerns, contact the Sexual Misconduct Ombudsperson at the above-listed telephone number.