Join Presbyterians in launching Courageous Conversations during the month of October to address violence against women and children and, in particular, to stop sexual violence.
• We know that more than half the time (55 percent) clergy are often the first person to hear a person’s story of abuse.
• One in three women beaten, raped, or otherwise abused are sitting in our pews every Sunday.
• Sexual violence carries a trauma and stigma in societies worldwide and makes women and children especially vulnerable.
Here are three ways you can help launch Courageous Conversations:
1. Make a personal commitment to stop sexual violence by signing the We Will Speak Out pledge and inviting others to do so.
2. Preach, teach, or have a service of healing for victims/survivors of sexual violence. Resources are listed below.
3. Support a mission co-worker and/or global partner engaged in the work. View PC(USA) Global Connection information listed below or contact Stephanie Caudill for suggestions.
Rus Funk, founding executive director of MensWork: eliminating violence against women, inc., provided practical tools for having Courageous Conversations during a webinar held August 12, 2015. To view a recording of the webinar, click here.
PC(USA) Global connection
Mission coworkers engaging in stopping sexual violence
Christi and Jeff Boyd
Sandi and Brian Thompson-Royer
Guatemalan Mission Personnel
Janet Guyer video
Coming soon: new mission personnel based in Thailand and the Philippines
Your local crisis center