Celebrate Earth Day Sunday or other
Creation Care Worship Services
In the Presbyterian Church (USA) hymnals (including the new hymnal Glory to God), Book of Common Worship, Directory for Worship, and other worship planning tools, there are many great resources that name ways that all Creation praises God's name, and how we can give thanks to God for the wonder and beauty of the world around us. Explore these traditional, good tools and find out what rich resources exist already in our church!
Earth Day is celebrated on April 22 each year, and Presbyterian churches are urged to celebrate Earth Day Sunday near this date or to use the resource for any other worship with a theme of creation care. Additional opportune moments to use this resource include September 1, recognized by Orthodox and Catholic communions as the World Day of Prayer for Care of Creation, or in October, during the Season of Creation and close to the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi. Creation Justice Ministries (formerly the National Council of Churches Eco-Justice Program) produces Earth Day Sunday resources each year.With sermon starters, prayers, Christian education suggestions, action tips, and more, the downloadable resource (and web page) has really great information, compiled by pastors. Click here for the 2016 Presbyterian version of this great ecumenical resource on Caring for God's Creatures.
Earth Day Sunday Archives and Other Worship Resources
Use the links below for materials to examine past Earth Day themes with your congregation.
- Earth Day Sunday 2015 "Have You Anything Here to Eat: Sustainable Food in a Changing Climate:" find the Presbyterian version of this food and climate Earth Day Sunday resource here! Also, find a great corresponding climate & food poster, from the Presbyterian Hunger Program.Earth Day Sunday resource, 2014- Water, Holy Water
- Earth Day Sunday resource, 2013 - Sunday Morning Sustainability: Eco-Justice Impacts and Opportunities
- Earth Day Sunday resource, 2012 - A Life of Abundance: Energy and Ethics
- Click here to link to a bulletin insert for a World Day of Prayer on Care of Creation every September 1.
Helpful Websites (hymns, scripture selections, sermons and more):
- Presbyterians for Earth Care (includes Presbyterian Hymnal list of hymns and a list of Scripture passages)
- Creation Justice Ministries (includes annual Earth Day Sunday resources)
- Eco-Justice Ministries
- Earth Ministry
- Web of Creation
- Green Faith
- Interfaith Power and Light
- Season of Creation
- Let All Creation Praise
- Presbyterian Hunger Program's Environmental Ministries Advent and Lent daily calendars for congregations and individuals
Webinars on Eco-Justice Worship:
January 26, 2015 webinar moderated by Ashley Goff (Church of the Pilgrims, Washington D.C.), a showcase of liturgical practices
Explore with worship leaders Neddy Astudillo, Claudio Carvalhaes, and Rob Mark what eco-justice worship can look like in various contexts: click here to watch the November 2013 webinar (on youtube).
- View All (2) Comments
- Comments are Closed
Pwof Monmouth , new Jersey Thinking about celebrating earth day With the theme let all creation praise. We're do we get a lot of resources? Thanks Lori Evans moderator.
Earth Day Sunday materials for 2013 are still in development at National Council of Churches' Eco-Justice Program. My understanding is that the theme is Sustainability, how each part of preparing for and attending church can be an expression of caring for God's earth. I will post materials as soon as they are finalized!