Read statistics, reports and articles
Statistics and information are the heart of Research Services. Here you can find statistics on church membership, finances, and ministers of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.); year-to-year trends for congregations and presbyteries; demographics; statistical snapshots of Presbyterians; and more.
Presbyterian Panel Reports & Summaries
The Presbyterian Panel "listens to Presbyterians" quarterly through national surveys of more than 3,500 members, elders and ministers. Learn more.
Comparative Statistics is published annually in the Fall and summarizes data on PC(USA) membership and finances provided by each congregation to the Office of the General Assembly via the Session Annual Statistical Report. Information about teaching elders including where they serve is also included.
The report shows trends in areas such as membership gains and losses, receipts and expenditures, and number of ministers.
Download Comparative Statistics reports
Comparative Statistics 2014
Comparative Statistics 2013
How can I order Comparative Statistics?
Contact Research Services (800) 728-7228, ext. 2040 or firstname.lastname@example.org for earlier editions or for digital copies.
Field Guide to U.S. Congregations
The U.S. Congregational Life Survey is the largest and most representative view of the American religious landscape ever developed in the United States, including 500,000 worshipers in more than 5,000 congregations across the country. Resources include:
- A Field Guide to U.S. Congregations: Who's Going Where and Why presents a comprehensive portrait of U.S. congregational life and how it has changed in recent years. (No longer available through link. Contact Research Services for a copy.)
- Beyond the Ordinary: 10 Strengths of U.S. Congregations examines the characteristics of excellent congregations.
- Places of Promise: Finding Strength in Your Congregation’s Location will help you learn about the role location plays in determining congregational strengths and numerical growth.
- A Field Guide to Presbyterian Congregations describes Presbyterian worshipers and congregations and how they are changing.
- New: Fast Growing Presbyterian Churches takes a look at the fastest growing churches in the denomination and how they are different from others. (Updated with 2011 data.)
- Myths and Facts About Evangelism and Church Growth challenges what you might think and provides the truth.
- Beyond the Ordinary: Insights into U.S. congregational life blog presents other new findings from the survey
Your congregation can take the U.S. Congregational Life Survey to discover how you compare to these national benchmarks and to discover your congregation’s strengths.
Presbyterians Today - Go Figure! Articles
Go Figure! columns in Presbyterians Today magazine present statistical snapshots of Presbyterians, from the beliefs and practices of individuals to the programs and activities of congregations. Each column combines graphics and text to highlight interesting and useful findings from the Presbyterian Panel or other surveys.
Go Figure! is written by the staff of Research Services. For information about Research Services articles in Presbyterians Today, email Research Services.
We are asked many questions about the denomination. Here are brief answers to some of the more frequent questions. Many can be found in the 2010 edition of Comparative Statistics.
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Neighborhood Demographic Reports
Research Services provides free online demographic information for the community around your congregation based on U.S. Census data. You can find information on:
- Annual population growth
- Percentage of households with children
- Adult age distribution
- Housing types
- Education level of adults
- Household income
- Major cultural/ethnic
You can also identify other Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) congregations in your area, look at neighborhood demographics, and zoom in and out on a demographics map. Get help with Demographics online by phone at (888) 728-7228, x2040, or by email.
Faith Community Today - FACT
Faith Communities Today (FACT) is the largest survey of congregations ever conducted in the United States. FACT is intended to provide a public profile of religion in America by providing information from 14,301 congregations in 41 participating groups including Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim and Orthodox organizations.